Instead of reopening the senate, the president, Bukola Saraki, is meating non-senators such as IBB and OBJ. On Monday, he met Nigeria’s former President, Chief Olusegun Obasanjo, in Abeokuta. He had earlier met the former military president, Ibrahim Babangida in Minna, Niger State.
Saraki is reported to have arrived the Olusegun Obasanjo Presidential Library (OOPL) at about 5.27 p.m.
The meeting, which held behind closed doors lasted more than an hour and half. Details of the meeting were not made available to journalists.
The Senate President was spotted in white Agbada with a white cap and told journalists he was in Abeokuta to see Obasanjo because he missed the official opening of the multi -billion dollar project of the OOPL.
He described the Library as a beautiful edifice that all Nigerians should be proud of.
“You know I missed the official opening of the library and that is why I have decided to come and see the place and honestly it is beautiful. We are very proud of what he has done here,” he said.
Saraki left the library premises at about 7.12pm.
It was the second visit to a former Nigerian leader that Saraki has made in a week, following last Wednesday’s press conference, in which he accused the executive of sending DSS men to blockade the National Assembly.
The accusation has been debunked and the head of the DSS then, Lawal Daura sacked for the unconstitutional action.
Last Wednesday, Saraki also visited former military leader, General Ibrahim Babangida in Minna, Niger State. He did not speak to journalists thereafter, but tweeted that: “Dropped in to pay my respects to General Ibrahim Badamasi Babangida. always happy to be with a father and leader.”
At the end of these top consultations where juicy promises may be made on power sharing, Saraki may make his presidential move.
N21Bn discovery: Who has the guts to lie on DSS matters?
Nigerians do not seem to fear anybody and this includes not afraid to lie against such organizations as the Department of State Services (DSS). Now, the DSS has had the burden to deny what it calls rumours on the sum of N21bn and weapons alleged to have been found in the house of their recently sacked Director General, Mr. Lawal Daura.
It was expected that such statements would only come from official sources but anybody seems free to announce government actions and policies in Nigeria, only to leave the burden to the government to deny or clarify. Nothing usually happens to such false information purveyors.
Details: The denial was contained in a statement issued Monday in Abuja by the agency’s Spokesperson Mr. Tony Opuiyo. He replied there was no iota of truth in the allegation that the sum and unspecified number of Permanent Voter Cards PVCs were found in Daura’s houses.
The videos which have been circulated to fuel the rumour, according to Opuiyo were fake, adding that the materials gave an impression that the search was conducted at the residence of the former DG in Abuja and Daura, Katsina State.
In contrary, the statement denied that there was no search carried out in the home of Daura by any security agency.
The statement reads in part: “The attention of the Department of State Services has been drawn to the circulation of fake information and videos in which several items were said to have been recovered from the Katsina and Abuja homes of its immediate past Director General, Lawal Daura.
“These non-existent items include: N21bn cash, 400 assorted and sophisticated small arms and light weapons/rifles, and thousands of Permanent Voter Cards belonging to Niger Republic immigrants.
“In another video also in circulation, some persons believed to be personnel of a security outfit were seen forcing open safes stocked with money.
“The security operatives were described as executing a recovery operation at the Katsina home of the former DG.
“Consequently, the Service wishes to inform the public that these videos are false and should be disregarded.
“So far, no such recovery operations have been undertaken by the EFCC or any other security agency at DSS’ office or residences of the former DG.
“There is no doubt that different interests have continued to give varied accounts of the incident of last week at the National Assembly.
“It may, however, be recalled that the Presidency had pledged to carry out a detailed investigation regarding the alleged National Assembly siege.”
Consequently, Mr. Opuiyo urged members of the public to exercise restraint in their narration of events and as such, desist from spreading fake news or engaging in activities that might mislead or further cause a breach of the peace as well as preempt the outcome of investigations.
In the meantime, the leading opposition PDP accused the Independent National Electoral Commission INEC for keeping mute over the alleged discovery of the PVCs in Daura’s house.
In view of the development, the PDP National Publicity Secretary Mr. Kola Ologbondiyan, has called on members of the National Assembly NASS to immediately begin investigation into the authenticity of the allegation.