Carveton premises in Port Harcourt unsealed after CEO ‘begged’ Wike


* As new police chief resumes in Rivers

By Codratus Godson

Carveton Helicopters Limited which ran into foul weather in Rivers State has got its premises unsealed by the host government after the CEO is said to have ‘begged’ the host governor.

Also, the commissioner of police who seemingly gleefully arrested the pilots and passengers has been reassigned back to the police headquarters in Abuja while a replacement arrived the garden city on Monday, April 20, 2020.


On a day a new police commissioner arrived Port Harcourt to replace the one that helped to arrest the Carveton pilots and passengers, the Rivers State reopened the sealed Carveton Helicopters premises in the state capital.

The governor, Nyesom Wike, had said last week Friday that the chief executive of the company had called to plead with him and to pledge better conduct henceforth. The governor had stated on televised press briefing that he asked the company to put their appeal in writing and they did.

By Monday, April 20, 2020, the governor was said to have signed an order unsealing the premises and the Attorney-General and Commissioner for Justice, the professor of law, Zaccheus Adangor, effected the unsealing.

The unsealing coincided with the taking over ceremonies at the police headquarters on Moscow Road in port Harcourt where Joseph Gobum Mukan took over from Mustapha Dandaura as commissioner of police. Dandaura came into the eye of the storm when he enthusiastically helped to arrest the Carveton pilots and passengers who were said to be operating with federal permit.

The governor insisted that the federal powers were not enough for the pilots to discharge passengers in Port Harcourt in alleged contravention of a state ban on inflow of passengers.

The bad blood lasted for few days but the heat came on the CP for seemingly siding a state governor in seeming confrontation with the federal government.

At last, Wike claimed victory, saying Carveton apologized. Soon, 22 oil workers from Eket in Akwa Ibom State were also arrested by the Rivers State but were freed soon after. Now, BOA workers are said to have been arrested and sent on prison remand.

In unsealing the Carveton premises, the Attorney-General said this followed an apology and commitment to be of good conduct. “We have unsealed the business premises of Carveton Helicopters. Gov Wike gave the approval today. The chairman of Obio/Akpor local council was directed to unseal it.

“I have received a call from the company to confirm that their business premises have been unsealed.

“We unsealed the premises on the basis of the apology tendered by the company and their commitment to be of good conduct.”