By Kasarachi Azuka, Asaba
Public officials often cry helplessly over activities of fake news merchants as if they did not have solutions. There are tools of tracking the source and arresting such fellows, but officials prefer to cry out and allow the fake news merchants to continue. The EFCC busted the man that said they had underground cell in Port Harcourt and jailed him; the Akwa Ibom State government unmasked the man that said nine commissioners had tested positive to corona virus and took him to court where the man feigned madness for want of any defence.
Many experts say faking will disappear anywhere one or two are busted and exposed to the media and prosecuted.
Delta State Government is going after fake news source that deceived the citizens into believing that primary and secondary schools in the state would reopen Monday, May 4.
Primary and secondary schools in the state had been on compulsory break since March 26 following government’s directive which said the action was part of measures to curtail the spread of Corona virus (COVID–19) in the state.
Tertiary institutions and all academic activities were also shut down as part of COVID–19 lockdown measures, which commenced April 1, paralyzing social, economic, religious and political activities.
On Tuesday, April 28, Governor Okowa announced a partial lifting of ban on movements within the state, effective April 30, to enable residents of the state engage in economic activities since the lockdown had brought untold hardship on the people.
Social media platforms began trending with news of the reopening of schools on May 4, crediting the commissioner for basic and secondary education , Patrick Ukah, as having held a meeting where it was agreed that schools would reopen to that effect.
The news report caused panic among Deltans as they wondered why the schools should be reopened when COVID–19 was still ravaging the state without cure yet.
Some parents and guardian who spoke to BusinessDay frowned over the situation and said they were not ready to release their children/wards to school thereby exposing them to COVID-19.
Commissioner Patrick Ukah while reacting to the development, denied holding meeting or authorized the holding of any meeting of reopening of schools in the state.
He cautioned mischief makers to stay clear from the activities of the ministry.
He disclosed that relevant authorities would be closing up on the source of the fake news and added that same would be dealt with approximately, to serve as deterrent to others who harbour such thoughts.
He urged the people of the state to disregard such news and hold on to the May 30th date as earlier announced by the governor.