Association of Social Media Connoisseurs in Rivers State led by Robertson Jack on
Wednesday, 22nd April, 2020 has commended Gov Woke for taking the right step on the fight against corona virus in the state.
We, the Association of Social Media Connoisseurs in Rivers State, a conglomerate of social media doyens with the aims and objectives to promote Good Governance, Progressive Politics and Democratic Practices within and outside our Political Parties, wish to commend His Excellency, Chief Barr. Ezebunwo Nyesom Wike aka Mr. Project, the Governor of Rivers State for the progress recorded so far in his proactive fight against the spread of Covid19 in the State.
Gov. Wike by his actions since assumption of office has proven beyond reasonable doubt that, “the key to success is not the will to win, but the will to prepare to win”.
Below are the measures taken by the Governor and the dates he began the fight against the spread of Covid19 in Rivers State.
Immediately after the declaration of Covid19 as a global pandemic by the World Health Organization (WHO) on the 11th of March, 2020, Gov. Wike reduced his opposers to a negligible few with meaningless arguments.
Timeline of actions
(1). 12TH OF MARCH, 2020;
* Gov. Wike set up a 5 man Committee to create awareness for the prevention of COVID19 in the State with Paulinus Nsirim, the Rivers State Commissioner for Information as Chairman.
(2). 20TH OF MARCH, 2020.
* Gov. Wike announced the closure of all public and private schools in the State, with effect from Monday, the 23rd March, 2020.
* Directed all religious Organizations to immediately restrict their activities.
* Announced the empowerment of the Health Ministry to set up intervention teams to be funded by Rivers State Government:
(i). Trained 158 surveillance and Ad-hoc personals.
(ii). 1 Treatment Center each set up at the 2 Teaching Hospitals and other Government Hospitals in the State, fully equipped and functional.
(iii). Successful Training of all Health Workers (both private and public) on Infection Control Measures and appropriate use of Personal Protective Equipment (PPE).
(iv). Procurement of Hand Sanitizers, Infrared Thermometers and other necessary commodities and equipments to detect and fight COVID 19 in Rivers State.
(3). 23RD OF MARCH, 2020.
* He announced the closure of all public parks, cinemas and night clubs; and placed a ban on public burials, weddings and other public gatherings with effect from 24th March, 2020 till further notice.
* He also appealed to citizens to maintain social distancing.
* Set up surveillance posts to be manned by health and security personnels in all the land and sea borders of the State, to ensure that motorists and seafarers were tested before allowing them into the State.
(4). 24TH MARCH, 2020.
* He annouced the set up of a 12 man Task Force to enforce the ban on public gatherings and places of worship. The Task Force which was inaugurated on the 25th of March, 2020, has all the State Service Chiefs and some State Government and Local Government officials as members, and Gov. Wike himself as the Chairman.
(5). 25TH MARCH, 2020.
* He announced the closure of all borders,…..both air, sea and land routes into the State were closed for traffic, beginning from Thursday, the 26th of March, 2020.
(6). 26TH MARCH, 2020.
* He announced the closure of all markets with effect from Saturday 28th March, 2020.
* Directed all Civil Servants from level 1-10 to remain at home from Friday the 27th March, 2020.
* Directed all LGA Chairmen to lead Task Forces In their various LGAs, and all Commissioners, Special Advisers and Security agencies to also be part of the Task Forces, to ensure compliance of the State Government’s ban. This was done in response to the announcement of the 1st recorded index case of Covid19 in Rivers State by the NCDC.
(7). 28TH AND 31ST MARCH, 2020.
* Gov. Wike personally led members of the State Task Force on enforcement of the ban on public and religious gathering to monitor compliance with the directive of the State Government for the closure of all markets, religious organizations and other public places.
(8). 31ST MARCH, 2020.
* He placed curfew in some parts of Port Harcourt and Obio-Akpor LGAs, where some markets were violating the ban on markets.
* Announced the closure of beer parlours and public drinking joints for being an extension of night clubs.
* Granted waivers to Medical and Pharmaceutical personals, food and beverages vendors, essential Oil and Gas Staff, Petroleum products, Media workers and Newspaper distributors.
(9). 5TH APRIL, 2020.
* He Inspected very huge quantity of food items at the Rivers State Food Bank, meant for less privileged indigenes and non indigenes resident in the State.
(10). 6TH APRIL, 2020.
* Gov. Wike inaugurated the Committee on Palliatives headed by Amb. Desmond Akawo, with the task to distribute the Government’s food stuffs to the less privileged citizens of River State; to cushion the effect of the hardship caused by the strategies put in place by the State Government to contain the spread of Covid19.
(11). 6TH APRIL,2020.
* He arrested 2 Pilots of Caveton Helicopters who illegally transported expatriates of Oli Companies into the State.
(12). 7TH APRIL, 2020.
* He inaugurated a 33 man Committee headed by Hon. Tammy Danagogo, the Secretary to the Rivers State Government, with the release of N2billion to the Committee to purchase more foodstuffs from farmers and fishermen for distribution to Rivers indigens and non indigens resident in the State.
* Announced the completion of a 250 Bed Isolation Center at the Yakubu Gowon Stadium, a collaboration between the Rivers State Government and the private sector.
* Commenced the distribution of the food stuffs at the Remand Home and Cheshire Home in Port Harcourt, and to other vulnerable and downtrodden citizens of the State, through the Amb. Desmond Akawo’s led Committee.
(13). 19TH APRIL, 2020.
* Dr. Chikwe Ihekweazu, the DG of the Nigeria Center for Disease Control visited Rivers State and thanked Gov. Wike for his firm, strong, committed and personally led response to curtail the spread of Covid19 in Rivers State. The NCDC Boss also acknowledged that the State has an excellent public Health team that is working in harmony with his Agency. He also ranked Rivers State as the first and best in tackling the spread of the virus, and asked other States to emulate the Rivers State Governor’s proactive steps in tackling the spread of Covid19.
(14). 20TH OF APRIL, 2020.
* Gov. Wike announced the State Government’s plan to employ 3000 Environmental Sanitation Marshals to man her borders, to ensure the implementation of the border closure for the protection of Rivers people.
The above chronicled strategic measures taken by Gov. Wike to protect residents of Rivers State from the deadly Covid19 and to cushion the effect of hunger as a result of the Stay At Home order have brought the desired results and achievements so far; from 2 identified Covid19 cases that were treated and confirmed to be negative and discharged; and just 1 new recorded case in the State that was announced by the NCDC yesterday, the 21st of April, 2020; this has also made it Crystal clear that those who are opposed to the Governor’s proactive measures are enemies of Rivers State, who are in a negligible number, with meaningless arguments.
Conclusively, we wish to encourage citizens of our dear Rivers State to continue to make the needed sacrifices and give the Governor the necessary support because, an action can only be said to be good when it is proactive with a positive intent behind it.
Our desire for safety should be placed above every other sentiment and selfish enterprise; for it is better to be a thousand times careful than to record one Covid19 death that (we all know) has a great potency of increasing and spreading.
Most importantly, let us Trust in God and do the right thing.